Yesterday, I flew out of Columbia Regional to Chicago. My flight was scheduled to leave at 4:14 pm, but due to mechanical issues, we didn’t leave until 6:25 pm. The door wasn’t latching properly, so it was a legitimate reason to be delayed, but 90+ people were crammed into a room about the size of a small conference room. It was rather hot and smelly.
I got bored.
So what did I do? I started observing the folks around me and came up with a list of 5 things to do when you flight is delayed:
- Try to guess where people are from and what they do for a living. I’m trying to figure out why the woman next to me had a really expensive smart phone and a really old flip phone.
- Watch a girl send snaps to her boyfriend every 10 seconds. He just dropped her off a short time ago. Awwww….young love.
- See what people around you are reading. Maybe you can find your next beach book! Lots of college textbooks in this tiny room.
- Watch the single guys, or not so single guys, check out the single girls, or not so single girls, in the terminal.
- Try to ignore the man next to you when he slowly starts invading your personal space, including putting his arm super close around the back of your chair. He was wearing really bad cologne, too!
When we finally boarded, I put my ear buds in, said a prayer for a safe flight and took a short snooze.
After arriving in Chicago and waiting an hour for my checked bag, I was ready for a cocktail and quick meal before I was off to bed.
Here’s to a great week!